Tuesday, 24 November 2009

English

I'm well known for, ahem, having a strong command of the Chinese language. And admittedly, this does affect my grasp of the English language. CBC811 exam is 13.5h away, I'm still reading up on articles and yet to touch the lecture slides and I'm actually having slight difficulties processing the information. Is it me or is it because I’m sleepy already?

A few days ago I received an email from MJC, saying that I’m “among the selected students we have identified to be suitable for the Explorations in Ethnicity (EiE) Camp” and “the EiE Course allows you to experience honest, open and unreserved sharing on ethnicity in a multi-religious setting, and helps you acquire skills and mindsets that allow you to better interact and understand the various races in Singapore.”

I replied to say that I’ve already graduated, and there might be a mistake in their namelist. The person-in-charge replied “I think the list in the school portal hasn’t been updated.” Well done lor. They said “selected students”, so which list hasn’t been updated??! Dubious.

Then again they said “identified”. I presume I must be too tiong already, hence they strongly feel that I should go for this camp and started hallucinating that I’m still a student of MJ. =.= Or maybe, THAT list is some list that they secretly crafted (but not frequently updated) to take note of students who are stronger in their MTL or something, such that they're able to force catch approach people to attend such activities conveniently. It's just like how TM-ers were requested to "give back" back then. *gasps* Afterall language is part of ethnicity and a representation of culture! Am I supposed to feel honoured to have made it to the list?

Why do I feel like I'm answering some SBQ...

However I have to agree that it's amusing to receive such an email. (Which reminds me that the darn school still owes me my SGC.) Sometimes I do mind that my angmoh is quite lousy, and it can get frustrating when there's failure to express or understand, but I have no problems with my tiong image that's etched in almost everyone who knows me. Tiong, then tiong lah. I'll just have to work on my English, spoken and vocab wise.

Now... Is there something I am/was supposed to do?