As an assistant drama instructor for children's speech and drama workshop.
I must say, it was an eye-opener. See my opened eyes? --- O.O
And my current status is 骨头快散了(my bones feel like they're falling apart).
Really forsee the challenges ahead of me for the next nine weeks. =X
I had imagined it would be as fun and enjoyable as the outdoor performances.
But alas, that was wishful and naive thinking on my part; it's nowhere near there.
Today was at this kindergarten set up by a church, at Harbourfront.
And I'll be going there for subsequent Wednesdays of Term 2. (Means till end-May.)
Tuesday lessons will be at Bukit Batok, which I've yet to know the exact location.
And I think after these two days next week, I'll rest away on the other five days.
My knees really hurt now, probably from all the squating. LOL.
I haven't been moving around for some time you see. X)
Kids nowadays, are hard to handle, particularly those from well-to-do families.
Especially when the kind-hearted me has to play the bad guy.
*passes plastic bag for people to puke*
And I think I don't look convincing enough to the teachers/principal/parent.
Or at least, I sense doubt from these people to a certain extent.
Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive, but hey,
I'm indeed some young random weirdo who appeared in their school on a Tuesday morning.
I'm 18, I've got zero work experience prior to this,
and I ain't exactly a fan of teaching/working with kids, neither have I done so before.
And therefore to make up for these, I've decided to do some research on dealing with young kids.
Yes yes yes believe what you just saw. Hahaha.
Money is hard-earned.
They engage ATS for the workshop,
yet we have to put up with many rules/things set/requested by the school.
For example, in the way in treating the kids. I personally find that it's overprotective.
But well yeah we gotta be understanding such that the school doesn't receive complaints and all.
Point taken. How bout another example now?
Say, suggesting how classes should be carried out now, "pointing out mistakes",
when it's the exact same thing as the previous term?
It's not easy... It's not easy trying to please and achieving objectives at the same time.
I suppose, there is a difference between teaching (kids) on stage and in the classroom.
Teaching on stage through a performance is more entertaining.
Way entertaining in fact.
And as long as everyone's happy, we're happy too.
However when somewhat the same stuff goes into the classroom, it gets mundane.
Someway, somehow.
When everyone's (finally) happy, we're _____.
Fill in whichever word. I can't find the most explicit one. LOL.
In conclusion, I can't say for sure that I'm ready for the challenges yet.
But I'll try, since I've -agreed- to take this on.
(Not "decided" because I didn't go through any thinking process before saying okay. =.=)
And what's the best part???
I'm not sure if I'll be paid.
So currently, this is work and not a job.
You get the gist of it. ;)