Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Sent in.

Yeah and so I applied for uni already. Yesterday night. Chemistry followed by Chinese and Psychology for NTU, FASS followed by Science and Engineering for NUS.

Looks weird, but I figured that should be my best bet for getting into a local university. Didn't fill in every available choice cause my sister says since I know what I want, it's redundant to do so.

Went for the respective open house last Saturday, and I must say I'm very honoured to have my dad, sis#2, future brother-in-law and sis#5 escort me there. Lol. Personally prefer the atmosphere in NTU more despite hearing lots of comments from friends and teachers regarding the two unis.

And just as I thought I would be sure of my choice after the open house-s, it actually made me unsure again. Why? Because I don't wanna give up on Chinese. And I do enjoy studying Chemistry back in JC. But but but, this person at NUS Chinese told me that it's more important to study something that I'm interested in for the 3 or 4 years. And then I started the whole strength vs passion vs interest reasoning in my bee brain.

The conclusion? I would love to study Chinese, and it's "closer" to my dear Chinese drama. However I seriously don't think I'll be able to cope and I'm not exactly interested in the modules offered, especially those of Lit. Hence I should try not to let Chinese faculty be my dumping ground, even though EVERYONE around me is telling me I should go there, making it seem like it's my one and only, best possible choice. Even I thought that was my only choice at first considering my mediocre grades. But no, Chinese should never never be a dumping ground for people to simply secure a place. Why should it be? It's stupid, and it's not doing the course any justice. If you don't have interest right from the start, go get a life somewhere else. Do not stereotype mother-tongue related courses as "easy to get in", cause it's certainly not and you need to have some substance to be able to study and handle them. Plus plus plus, I'm weaker at humanities, and this is a fact since secondary school.

So I'll leave it to fate now.