Sunday, 11 April 2010

Productions Day

Happy day. Feels very good to be in touch with Chinese drama again. The first one I went to yesterday with Jason was "Liao Zhai Rocks!".





Very creative, original compositions fusing story from the classic Chinese novel with rock music, amazing stage sets and props and excellent lights design. Good performance from the cast too. Singing live is one thing, singing live with a live band is another, not to forget the actions and expressions as well. We were sitting there gaga-ing over the venue and I could feel my heartbeat throughout the entire show. Finally that's something worth watching (after all the trashy hall productions), something worth spending that S$40 on, especially with the change of seat to Circle 1. LOL. The thing I didn't like that much was the storyline, haven't read the original story of Ying Ning (cause the versions online are in ancient Chinese and I'm lazy to decipher), but I think modifications were done because my impression of Liao Zhai is that it's quite morbid. This is the same point as the previous TTP production I went to, but I suppose they always made it up with the technical side and singing.


The second one I went to was DHS Senior High CS performance, after Jas and YS joined us, to support TJ in his first external production in school. It's at National Library too, but this one's a black box setting instead of the huge stage earlier on. Went with the feel of watching xiao pin, but I was suprised that they linked up the three stories with a radio drama, to express the main idea before each skit. The first story was cute with all the costumes and makeup. The second one was well-paced and I think the cast did a great job to piece the show together, domino effect seen. As for the last one, I have questions to ask but the overall idea is there, there's a balanced blend of emotions in the script itself, and the lively cast brought the feeling out. Excellent production coming from a school club. It makes hall productions even trashier comparatively.





















Catching up session after the show. Precious time cause it's always so hard to match our schedules. 2.5 years since we got together, everyone's grown up and have their own commitments elsewhere. Maybe we should really put what's mentioned onto action. 没有投身参与中文戏剧,生活还真是少了精神寄托...